Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How to Meditate : Sleep Better


Meditation is analogous to detox for me. When I meditate, it helps cleanse my mind and renew my spirit. I find it very refreshing when I perform it before bed. It reminds of when I would take a 20 minute - warm shower after a 6 hours of tedious dance lessons from Debbie Allen's rigorous summer intensive. The water falling on my head to my nose to my lips to my belly button to my waist to my knees to my toes felt so serene and purifying. Meditation is like this bath for me.

I begin by cleaning my room, especially my bed which for some peculiar reason tends to have piles of clothes stacked on it by the end of almost everyday. (I guess I have a hard time finding something to wear EVERYDAY).

Next, I put on warm pajamas (usually a hoodie, sweats and socks). I place two pillows on each side of me (right & left); will explain the use of pillows later in the message. Then I find serene music on Youtube and play it. I sit with my legs crossed and I rest my elbows on my knees with my palms facing the top of my canopy bed.

My attempt is to keep my head balanced but for some reason it tends to fall from place. I just let it go and let to music take me...

Or should I say lead me. Sometimes, I the music leads my hands upward and downward. Sometimes it leads me to stretch out my legs and relax my head on my knees. Last night, it made me stretch a really good stretch that when I woke up I felt very light.

The stretch consisted of second position of the legs exercises. It also consisted of the splits stretches. I ended with laying down and stretching my legs to the top of the canopy bed. Usually I attempt to rest each of my legs on a pillow (as in second position) and I try to lay backwards and with my palms facing above. This one really helps me to stay focused.

When the song finishes so does my meditation.

I then grabbed by pocket bible and cross and spoke to my God. We had a very long conversation last night and he lulled me to sleep.

Waking up today, I wanted to write this post particularly to remind myself of how I meditate in the circumstance that I forget. Also, some of you may find this helpful so I invite you to try it and let me know what happens...

2 comments:

  1. This website is excellent Deara because it serves as an innovative way to motivate, inform and inspire youth around the world. Another amazing attribute about this website is that it "Glorifies God," which is something you do not see often. Thank you for informing me about this website, it is wonderful!

    Anniesha Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment Anniesha. Your words are encouraging and I am so content to know that this site is advantageous to you. I hope you would be interested in joining YSG and if not that's ok too. In any circumstance, please continue to read our (soon their will be others writing, perhaps even you) articles to "motivate, inform and inspire" you.

    Your friend,
    :Deara

    P.S. Thank you for being our first "commenter."

    ReplyDelete